Newsletter

 

Weather forecast for Balaton

Balaton 15 day weather forecast
 

 

Örvényes

 

"Many people passing through this ancient settlement without a glance, let alone stop to visit the historical sites of this friendly place"

A few metres from the road is visible the village's most famous monument, the watermill. The mill was already mentioned in the records of Tihany Abbey in 1211. It has operated ever since and even ran under Turkish occupation. The mill is a very valuable historical survival of the milling industry. The wooden mill wheel is turned by the fastflowing Pecsely stream. Through the centuries the building has been rebuilt many times and has survived in its present form since the 18th century. At present, Istvan Woller mill researcher is operating this tourist attraction. Thousands of individuals and groups visit the site yearly, which is open daily from 10.00-18.00 hours between 1st May until end of October . Closed on Mondays.

On the hill above the mill is found a church from the middle ages built in the 13th century in Roman style with St. Imre as a patron saint. On the southern part of the mill, situated a two hole stone bridge, built in the 17th century in Baroque style. On the middle pillar stands the statue of Nepomuki St. John which was probably donated by the local mill owners in gratitude. In the centre of the village stand the Catholic church built by the Abbey of Tihany in late Baroque style between 1778-1783.

In the 1950-s, not far from Orvenyes, archeologists discovered roman items. In the middle ages the village belonged to the Abbey of Tihany and life flourished under the management of the skilled and agricultural workers.. Under Turkish occupation the village was ruined and in 1593 became uninhabited. Written documentary evidence proves that 

the mill however was still operating and a tithe was given to the Turks. The rebuilding of the village started in 1733, when a monk named Grasso brought in German settlers from the Rhein-Pfalz. They built their houses on the hillside around the new church.

The village has 165 permanent residents and they are 
mostly wine makers or renting out rooms in their houses to tourists. On the mildly sloping hills surrounding the village, the people grow the ancient Balaton types of grapes: Italian(olasz) rizling, rizling szilvani (bases of white vines). The vine is produced according to old recipes in the very old family cellars in the hillside. Among the wines round the Balaton the Orvenyes wine has a special characteristically fruity and rich taste. The good wine and the picturesque scenery lure lots of tourists to the area. On average 3000 guest nights are spent by holidaymakers in the village.

 

   

Orvenyes is surrounded by a National Park of the northern Balaton. The area offers pleasant tours: in the valley of the Pecsely stream. To the north , above an old mine is a forest and three kilometres away the ruins of Zadorvar castle can be visited. The free beach offers a great time to the lovers of water in a very nice and attractive environment.